Costs, California Residency, & Financial Aid

Costs & Residency

Current information about fees, non-resident tuition, and California residency may be obtained at the Office of Graduate Studies, and at the Registrar's Office. To obtain information on Residence for Tuition Purposes, click here or email the Residency Officer or by calling (858) 534-4586. 

Financial Assistance

The University of California, San Diego considers financial support a top priority. Please note that one application is sufficient for all types of UCSD financial aid. The Music Department makes every effort to help its graduate students meet their educational objectives. Merit-based financial assistance is offered on a competitive basis through fellowships, teaching and research assistantships, and special stipends to outstanding performers, composers and scholars.

In addition, there may be opportunities for language assistantships for native non-English speakers. TA, Reader, and Associate positions are covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the University and the UAW. The agreement, including applicable benefits, may be found at:

Each quarter, students receiving financial support must register for and complete a full program of graduate study and research (12 units of graduate level courses) and must remain in good academic standing (GPA of 3.00 or better plus satisfactory progress towards the M.A. or Ph.D./D.M.A degree). The Music Department maintains an active list of referrals for private teaching, performing for special events, tutoring, etc. Periodic travel and dissertation grants are available to attend conference and engage in doctoral research.

Financial assistance for international students is limited. All new and continuing graduate students are urged to actively seek assistance within the university and through external granting institutions. Applications for financial assistance should be submitted as early as possible as competition is keen and deadlines are set early in the year. Written evidence of sufficient financial resources must be provided before a visa application can be issued.

Need-based grants, work study, and Guaranteed Student Loans are awarded on the basis of financial need through the Student Financial Services office. Please submit the FAFSA by published deadlines. Call (858) 534-3807 or go to