The Music Department offers minors in Music and ICAM-Music.
To declare a Minor:
- Click on the "Major and Minor" link under "Tools" on My TritonLink.
- If you have questions about which courses to take or how to submit the request, current students are required to make an appointment with the undergraduate advisor by requesting a meeting on the Virtual Advising Center (VAC) at: http://vac.ucsd.edu.
- Please be sure to check course prerequisites before declaring the minor.
- List two lower division and five upper division courses.
- The department will review your minor request. You will receive an automated email from the Registrar indicating the department's decision.
- If your minor proposal is denied, you will receive a message via the VAC explaining how to revise your proposal in order to be accepted.
When filling out the online minor declaration, students must list the proposed courses they plan to use for the minor. Students can change the courses or grading options at any time and will not need to resubmit another minor declaration to do so. When registering for courses that meet the music department's minor requirements, the online system will automatically move those courses into the minor section of the student's Degree Audit Reports (DAR). If at any time a student believes a course should be applied to the minor but does not show appropriately on the DAR, please contact an advisor in the music department.
NOTE: We do not recommend that students propose upper-division courses requiring auditions. We recommend a back-up course be listed until auditions have been passed.
Tips to properly fill out the online declaration:
Subject Code: MUS
Course No.: the course number (i.e. 1A, 127)
Title: Full course title. If you are proposing a repeatable course, please list the topics for each.
Institution: UC San Diego
Grading Options: Letter or Pass/No Pass
Do not list courses that you have taken outside UC San Diego, and plan to petition. List a UC San Diego course as a place holder until your petition is approved, and then it will be applied on your degree audit.
NOTE: After you have listed the courses on the online minor declaration, you first must click the "Submit" button. On the next page, review your choices and click the "Add Minor" button. Your minor will not be submitted for review if you skip this step!
(Minor Code: MU 25)
Lower Division Requirements
Select any two lower-division music courses from Music 1-20, 33. Both courses must be 4-units. Performance ensembles (Music 95B-95W) and individual lessons (Music 32) are excluded.
Upper Division Requirements
Select any five upper-division music courses. Upper-division performance ensembles are included and may be taken multiple times to satisfy upper-division requirements. Students may not include upper division, Individual Instruction (private lessons, MUS 132/132V) on a Minor Proposal. All courses must be 4-units.
This is a general minor in music; there is no specific emphasis for the minor. Students can choose from a broad range of courses to fulfill the requirements. The only restrictions are:
• All courses must be 4 units
• You are still required to meet course prerequisites
• If you are taking a repeatable course, the topics must be different
Minor courses can be taken for a letter or P/NP grade, unless otherwise specified in the course description. If you plan to overlap minor courses with general education, we suggest you check with your college to determine if the courses must be taken for a specific grading option.
(Minor Code: MU27)
Lower-Division Requirements - two courses total
|Required||VIS 41 Design Communication|
|choose one from||
VIS 1, 2 or 3 Introduction to Art-Making I, II, or III
OR Effective Fall 2018, choose one from MUS 1A, 2A, 4, 5, 6, 7, or 14
Upper-Division Requirements - five courses total
ICAM 110 Computing in the Arts: Current Practice* This course is no longer offered. Effective Fall 2018: Please choose a 2nd Foundation or third advanced course from the lists below.
Foundation - choose two
|Advanced Courses - choose three||
|Theory and History||
VIS 159 History of Art and Technology OR MUS 114 - No longer required effective Fall 2018. Students entering prior to Fall 2018 may substitute a third advanced elective in place of this Theory/History.
Minor courses can be taken for a letter or P/NP grade, unless otherwise specified in the course description. We suggest you find out from your college if they require minor courses to be taken for a specific grading option.
Link to Visual Arts webpage for ICAM and Vis Arts Course Descriptions & Annual Schedule:
- Courses taken at another college or at a community college may be used to fulfill lower-division requirements only. Go to Assist to determine whether your course has already been articulated. If it is not listed on Assist, then an Undergraduate Student Petition must be submitted to the Music Department with an attached photocopy of the course description and/or syllabus from the originating institution.
- The Music Department does not accept Advanced Placement (AP) courses to apply toward the minor.
The Music Department allows students to take minor courses for letter and/or pass/no pass grading options. If you are using a course to satisfy a requirement for your college, please check with the college advising office for their policy.